Value Education Cell
Founded on 26.09.2014
Convener : Dr. SUTAPA RAY, Head, Department of Philosophy
1. Dr. Sarada Mandal, Teacher-in-Charge
2. Dr. Sutapa Roy, Convener, Department of Philosophy
3. Dr. Ajit Kumar Bera, Department of Bengali
4. Dr. Dolonchampa Saha, Department of Physics
5. Prof. Nemai Chandra Dan, Department of History
6. Sri, Tapas Kumar Roy, Head Clerk and Accountant
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE VALUE EDUCATION CELL
“The Aim of Education is the Knowledge, not of facts, but of Values”
In the Value Education Cell we focus on education as an essential human value without which man is a slave. It is true that with education we become more human, but it is values that distinguishes an educated person from a literate one. So, value education is not a matter of luxury today, it is something on which the survival of the society depends. Such has been the degradation of moral values in our lives that society itself is jeopardized.
Humanity is suffering from spiritual starvation. The world today is in a dismal state. The reason in a word can be said to be “Dissatisfaction” – we have lost our inner calmness. And this has resulted in a society boiling with anger, anxiety, frustration, restlessness and anguish. We have simply lost control of ourselves.
To rectify this situation what is needed is developing an understanding heart. Half the problems around us will vanish if we try to see with the other man’s eyes and love with the other man’s heart. We would then know what it feels like to be playing the other man’s part.
Value Education Cell is an attempt to change our understanding of ourselves and the people around us. It is an attempt at finding the joy within us by achieving the following –
• Harmonious development of body, mind and soul
• Cultivating inner calmness – a way to peace
• Going back to Man’s True Nature to regain our forgotten Divinity
• To tap our inner resources of strength and to harness the power of positive attitude and affirmation
• To deal with pressures of impossible workloads
We focus on building good healthy citizens of the country since a single good citizen can make a difference to the society. So, we here emphasize on real life-oriented learning methods. A student, when leaving college after completion of the three-year degree course should be equipped with a positive frame of mind, have basic communication skills, should have acquired the ability to explain something logically, and above all, should have developed a balanced personality. We treat the students as mature individuals and strive to inculcate values in them which will help them face the hazardous journey of life after college.
OBJECTIVES OF THE VALUE EDUCATION CELL
To Coordinate with V.E. Cell of other colleges and universities
• To Collect & share college level measures/action with them
• To Ensure Teachers Orientation/ Participation in such programmes
• To Make available Books, Manual & other material in library
• To share the Feedback & Update with VE Cell periodically
• To Invite other people i.e. who have done good work in their area and seek to have their role/ participation in it
• To select Student Coordinator – 2 students from 1st year as per the following
o Keen interest in Value Education/Social Participation
o Entrepreneurial orientation
ACTIVITIES OF THE VALUE EDUCATION CELL:
Seminar Organized by Value Education Cell.
Venue: Room No. 20.
Topic: MANUSOTTER SHIKKHA LAABH: ISHWAR CHANDRA VIDYASAGAR MAHASAYER JIBON THEKE
Speaker: Dr. Ajit Kumar Bera, Department of Bengali, PrabuJagatbandhu College, Andul, Howrah.
Chairperson, Prof. SoumitraChakrabarti, Convener, Seminar Committee, Deptt.ofPol.Sc.
Institute of Health Yoga Diet Therapy (HYDT) Research and Education, 487, RabindraSarani has been approached by the Value Education Cell of this college to organize medical camps, awareness programmes and value education classes in joint collaboration. The Founder President of this institute, Dr. Ashoke Kumar Pradhan, has given consent for extending his support to this effort of enriching the students of the college. A programme will be arranged in January, 2015.